22 July 2019 Vancouver, BC, Canada

July 22, 2019: Mailbox Monday / What Are You Reading?

Happy Monday Everyone!!

Today I am doing a Mailbox Monday, hosted by Martha at Mailbox Monday, and What Are You Reading? which is hosted by Kathyrn at Book Date .

Mailbox Monday

"All sorcerers are evil. Elisabeth has known that as long as she has known anything. Raised as a foundling in one of Austermeer’s Great Libraries, Elisabeth has grown up among the tools of sorcery—magical grimoires that whisper on shelves and rattle beneath iron chains. If provoked, they transform into grotesque monsters of ink and leather. She hopes to become a warden, charged with protecting the kingdom from their power. Then an act of sabotage releases the library’s most dangerous grimoire. Elisabeth’s desperate intervention implicates her in the crime, and she is torn from her home to face justice in the capital. With no one to turn to but her sworn enemy, the sorcerer Nathaniel Thorn, and his mysterious demonic servant, she finds herself entangled in a centuries-old conspiracy. Not only could the Great Libraries go up in flames, but the world along with them. As her alliance with Nathaniel grows stronger, Elisabeth starts to question everything she’s been taught—about sorcerers, about the libraries she loves, even about herself. For Elisabeth has a power she has never guessed, and a future she could never have imagined." -Amazon (Photo too is from Amazon)

I have seen so many rave reviews for Sorcery of Thorns. Also, that cover was just calling out to me to buy it. I spent a good few days debating whether or not to buy Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson. I read her previous book, An Enchantment of Ravens back in 2017. The only downside of this book (and the reason I was hesistant to buy it) is it is a standalone. This is sad because you will fall in love with the characters.

SPOILER ALERT "A royal wedding is what most girls dream about. It means one celebration after another: balls, fireworks, and revelry until dawn. But to Kestrel it means living in a cage of her own making. As the wedding approaches, she aches to tell Arin the truth about her engagement: that she agreed to marry the crown prince in exchange for Arin's freedom. But can Kestrel trust Arin? Can she even trust herself? For Kestrel is becoming very good at deception. She's working as a spy in the court. If caught, she'll be exposed as a traitor to her country. Yet she can't help searching for a way to change her ruthless world . . . and she is close to uncovering a shocking secret. This dazzling follow-up to The Winner's Curse reveals the high price of dangerous lies and untrustworthy alliances. The truth will come out, and when it does, Kestrel and Arin will learn just how much their crimes will cost them. The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski is the second book in the Winner's Trilogy." -Amazon (Photo aswell is from Amazon)

The Winner's Curse was another book I avoided reading for a very long time. However, after reading it, I immediately wanted to buy the second book to add my shelf.

What Are You Reading? 

This week I have been reading two books. 

1. Sorcery of Thorns <--I am 200 pages into the novel at the moment. Honestly, I am kind of dreading finishing it because a) it is a standalone and b) it is so very good. It reminds me of Harry Potter / Black Butler. It gives off those sort of vibes and I love it. I absolutely adore Nathaniel and Sir Fluffington (anyone who has/or is reading this book will know who I am talking about). 

"Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over. But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner. Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever." Amazon (photo too)

I read over 150 pages of Caraval today. I bought Caraval back when it first came out however, I never ended up reading it. The past day or so I have had the odd urge to dive into Stephanie Garber's world. Today, I picked the book up and read 10x more than I normally do in a day. I am intrigued to find out how this book will end. Also, side note, but this book would make a fantastic movie or t.v. show.



8 comments

  1. I’m reading Sorcery of Thorns this week too, I’m happy it’s a stand-alone though, I don’t need any more unfinished series on my TBR :)

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I never thought of in that way!! But now that you mention it, my tbr pile should be happy!!

      Delete
  2. I hope both books exceed your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorcery of Thorns does sound good. I have been avoiding fantasy for a while. That one might cause me to break my fast. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend it :)

      Happy Reading Week!!

      Delete
  4. I loved Caraval, and I completely agree about the tv show/movie thing. It is so completely visual, even just reading it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All three sound good but especially The Winner's Crime sounds like one I would like.
    Glad you linked up at Mailbox Monday. (I am one of three hosts.)
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

© A Bookish Star . Design by Soleilflare.