16 July 2019 Vancouver, BC, Canada

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski (The Winner's Trilogy #1)


Author:Marie Rutkoski
Publisher:Farrar Straus Giroux
Pages:355
Source: Chapters/Indigo
Buy:Amazon|Chapters|Book Depository
Rating:4/5
"Winning what you want may cost you everything you love They were never meant to be together. As a general's daughter, seventeen-year-old Kestrel enjoys an extravagant and privileged life. Arin has nothing but the clothes on his back. Then Kestrel makes an impulsive decision that binds Arin to her. Though they try to fight it, they can't help but fall in love. In order to be together, they must betray their people . . . but to be loyal to their country, they must betray each other. Set in a new world, The Winner's Curse is a story of rebellion, duels, ballroom dances, wicked rumors, dirty secrets, and games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart. -Amazon Canada"

The Winner's Curse is one of those books I have crossed paths with many times when I am in a bookstore. The book was published back in 2014, and I feel bad for not picking it up sooner. It is told from two POV: Kestrel and Arin.

Rutkoski's writing style flows nicely through the book. I found the last hundred pages to be a bit rushed. There were also topics that the character's alluded to instead of actually talking about them. This made the book, in my opinion, a bit confusing at time. It might be that I am horrible at picking up at things that should be obvious.

Kestrel and Arin have strong, distinct personalities. I felt Rutkoski did a fantastic job at developing their relationship with one another and slowly incorporating their backstory into the novel.

I also was pleasantly surprised to find out that this book doesn't, really, have a love triangle. That is ok because I totally ship Arin and Kestrel.

The only character that I felt could have been better developed was the antagonist. Again, with me thinking the second half of the book was rushed, I didn't feel like I could connect with this person's character.

The ending of The Winner's Curse will definitely leave readers wanting more and lucky for me the full trilogy is already published.

I am curious to see how this trilogy will develop and which direction it will go in. I am also hoping we see more of Kestrel's friends, Jess and Ronan, in the next book. Ronan was also one of my favourite characters, and I was sad we didn't see him much in the second half of the book.

What are your thoughts on this book?




Post a Comment

Instagram

© A Bookish Star . Design by Soleilflare.