1 July 2020 Saskatchewan, Canada

Divine Blood (Guardians of the Maiden #1) by Beck Michaels

Author: Beck Michaels
Publisher: Pluma Press
Pages: 366
Source: Amazon
Buy: Amazon| Barnes & Noble|  Book Depository
Rating:4/5
The Shadow demon nearly took everything from Dynalya Astron, and it would soon return for more. When she discovers a way to fight back, she must go on a perilous journey and risk it all for those she holds dear. Along the way, she meets Cassiel, a Celestial Prince with magic blood and wings as black as his heart. He wants nothing to do with Dyna until he learns she could lead him to a place he has been searching for all his life. But reaching their destination is not as easy as they thought, nor are they the only ones who search for it. With danger at every turn and harrowing secrets between them, the quest will require much more than determination. They must fight for what they desire—or die trying. For fans of Throne of Glass, The Cruel Prince, and The Lord of the Rings comes Beck Michael's debut novel with remarkable characters, a budding romance, and gripping action. Divine Blood is the first book of an Epic Dark Fantasy series that explores the depths of loss, acceptance, and the true meaning of courage.-Goodreads
Divine Blood is a fantastical treat of a book. Beck's world comes alive within the pages. I love reading novels that have worlds that are big and diverse. Readers can expect werewolves, elves and celestials from the first book. I appreciated the map that is included and it was fun tracking the characters' movements on their journey.

I like that this story is told from multiple points of view. Zev and Cassiel were my top two narrators. The characters' motives were clearly defined in this book. I'm curious to see how Cassiel, and Cassiel's relationship with Dyna, will further develop. Dyna was an interesting character. She is a happy-go-lucky character who is prone to danger. There were multiple times throughout Divine Blood where I was having mini heart-attacks over her actions. By the end of the novel, I had a lot of admiration for Dyna's character and some of her choices. I won't go into this further because I don't want to spoil anything. In the sequel, I am looking forward to getting to know the antagonist better. I am also curious to know more about Von and Yavi's backstory.

Beck's writing brings this book to life. I could easily visualize the characters and their adventures throughout the novel. My only critique is that I wish there was a little less description. I was yearning for a bit more of a look into the character's thoughts.

I'm curious to see how the plot will develop in future books. The first book sets up enough questions that I'm eager to read the second book.

Overall, I enjoyed Divine Blood and its characters. I'm excited to see how the storyline will play out in future books.




Post a Comment

Instagram

© A Bookish Star . Design by Soleilflare.