21 May 2020 Saskatchewan, Canada

Crave (Crave #1) by Tracy Wolff

Author: Tracy Wolff
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages: 592
Source: Kobo/E-Reader
Buy: Amazon|Indigo Canada|Barnes & Noble|Book Depository
Rating: 3/5
My whole world changed when I stepped inside the academy. Nothing is right about this place or the other students in it. Here I am, a mere mortal among gods…or monsters. I still can’t decide which of these warring factions I belong to, if I belong at all. I only know the one thing that unites them is their hatred of me. Then there’s Jaxon Vega. A vampire with deadly secrets who hasn’t felt anything for a hundred years. But there’s something about him that calls to me, something broken in him that somehow fits with what’s broken in me. Which could spell death for us all. Because Jaxon walled himself off for a reason. And now someone wants to wake a sleeping monster, and I’m wondering if I was brought here intentionally—as the bait. - Cover/Bio: Goodreads

*SPOILERS*

Where do I start?! This book is perfect if you're looking for an addictive romance involving vampires and other paranormal creatures. The first book has the Twilight (book) feel in both looks (the cover) and in the story itself. I am shocked by how much time the author spent on the romance in Crave. The romance, between Jaxon and Grace, takes up most of the first book. I enjoyed reading this novel but, I had a lot of issues with the various developments (plot, romance, characters, etc.). I will be reading the sequel, Crush, because it is an addicting storyline. I have a feeling that the second book will diverge from the twilight-feel and focus less on the romance and more on the plot line. At least that is my hope for book #2. 

The romance was developed too quickly in my opinion. The story plays out over a single week. Grace was madly in love with Jaxon by day 7. I would have preferred this story to have taken place over the course of a few months. I mean Grace barely goes to school within that first week 😂 I would have preferred a romance that is slowly formed instead of love at first sight. That being said I do like Jaxon and Grace together. I enjoyed reading the romantic scenes. I ship them together. 

I felt the side characters were underdeveloped. The story focused so much on Jaxon and Grace that other characters fell flat for me. They did not come alive. The only exception to this is maybe Mekhi. The side characters, I felt, were used to act as an introduction into this paranormal world for Grace. That is awesome but, I also wanted the side characters to have their own arcs, problems, etc. I mean Macy has a boyfriend that we barely see and hear about in the book. What type of paranormal is he Also, why does Macy act so weird around Flint? Flint and Jaxon used to be friends but they're not anymore. Why? I know this is just the first book but I wanted more of a backstory. 

The plot was also a bit confusing. What was Jaxon's involvement before Grace's arrival? Why did he think it was weird that the headmaster would offer a spot to his niece, even if they thought she was human? How did Flint, and the others, know Lia was up to something? Why did Lia have to kill Grace's parents (Why not just kidnap Grace?)?

I felt the plot could have been strengthened. I support the storyline, but I felt it needed to be better explained and developed. The paranormal backstory could have also been better explained. I did not enjoy scenes of information overload. My knowledge of Wolff's vampires, dragons, shifters and witches is all over the place. 

I also hated how winter was described in this book. I understand if Grace needs to wear a lot of clothing to survive (she's from California). But why does Macy? Also, why didn't her cousin show her the tunnels? Also, what does snow smell like? Because that is what Jaxon apparently smells like.

World-building is in the same category as the plot. I have a feeling Crush will give us a deeper insight then Crave. The author spends most of the first book focusing on the romance instead of the world, it's political strifes and the plot itself (which comes second). I also preferred Jaxon's POV (in the bonus chapters) to Grace's narration.

Overall, Crave is an addictive read for Twilight and paranormal fans. Based on Crave's ending, I am more excited and hopeful for the sequel. 




Post a Comment

Instagram

© A Bookish Star . Design by Soleilflare.